Monday, January 30, 2012

broken in

Mittens Baby waiting at the bottom for me during my daily scoot downs.

It's been two weeks today that I was able to really break in our new old steps (literally). I probably tell my boys at least twice a day to not run down them and to hold on to the railing. Well, it had been a long day, and after a shower I was coming down with laundry basket in front of me (not holding on) and I took a tumble. Not from the top or anything as dramatic as that, but I missed the bottom step (thinking I was at the bottom). I knew I had broken at least one bone, not only from the yucky sounding crunch, but the pain was searing. I wont go into further gory details, about how I had to wait as my parents wouldn't answer their phone for at least fifteen minutes of incessant ringing so someone could come and stay with the boys (as they were already in bed), so we could go to the emergency room...or how I had to scoot down yet more snowy and ice covered steps (about sixteen) and a path to get to the vehicle...or how...okay I said no details.
Two days later and we were in Anchorage, and my foot was casted. Luckily for us we had a place to stay and my sis in law got to put up with us for a couple extra days before we flew home again. [Separate bedrooms! Separate baths! Separate bedrooms! Separate baths! (inside joke)] I actually consider myself very fortunate, as it could have been much worse. I only have two broken bones in my foot, one on top and on my heel.

While in Anchorage, we had a visitor right outside the window.

The icky thing now however, is not being able to do much. Although at first this may sound appealing to sit in bed and knit the time away, and have people pretty much wait on me hand and foot, and not do everything that needs to be done in the house, and not to be at work, etc...etc...etc...
It is awful.
And the fact that our house is made up of stairs that I have to scoot and pull my way up and down, if I want to get anywhere. Which brings me to a thought. I wonder how many people have been hurt in this house from all these stairs. I know I mentioned before, that our house is over a hundred years old. I hope no one was ever hurt too bad, and maybe no one at all (but that doesn't seem possible does it?) So if you have stairs, for goodness sake...be careful, hold on to the railing, and don't hold laundry baskets in front of you.

No comments: